HOME
GRAPHICS PACK
DOWNLOADS
FORUM
TUTORIALS
Google

For updates come follow me:


Saturday, December 21, 2013

Yoster Safari

yoster safari
Yoster Safari
Yoster Safari is a level in my project SMBX Super Mario Quest. I intended this level to be a replica of Super Mario World Yoshi Island 2 level, with slight modifications. Perhaps, this is my first clash-free level.

I had been using custom NPCs on this one, take the cherries for example. SMBX doesn't have cherries, but thanks to Valerri's Return to Dinosaur Land episode, I manage to grab some graphics and replicate what he did on his levels. The only problem is that the cherries turn into Megamole once killed, so I had to do an extra hack on the effects. There is yet another problem to this. I notice that some NPCs treat the cherries as another NPC so they actually bump on them despite the npcblock=0 attribute on the cherry NPC. There's one more problem, the cherries seem to hide the other NPCs. So I try analyzing the NPC codes and their behavior, and after some time, I manage to resolve the problems. There are some problems I couldn't resolve with the cherries though. They can get killed by Mario's fireball and by the Koopa shells. There's nothing I can do about it.

chargin chuck
Encounter with the Chargin' Chuck
Now, this level, like SMW's Yoshi Island 2, has the Chargin' Chuck in it. The Chargin' Chuck isn't like the Chargin' Chuck of SMW however, as this one can't be killed by a stomp or a spin attack nor is it vulnerable to fireball. These things can only be affected by Ice and can be killed by shells or hammer. The new Chargin' Chucks will really pose a threat even to the mighty plumber. Sometimes, the best way to deal with it is to run away from it.

And lastly, I also run with another SMBX problem involving the P switch. It turns Yoshi coins into blocks. It's a normal function but can also be problematic. Take for instance, a scenario where you want it to remain a coin. In my case, I put the last Yoshi coin beyond reach, and the only way to reach it is by turning the gold coins into blocks so Mario could use it as a stepping block. However, since the Yoshi coin also turns to a block, you have to wait for the power of the P switch to expire. This renders the purpose of the stepping block useless. But, with a little event trick, that problem was solved.

Anyway, here's the video:

No comments:

Post a Comment